Wednesday, 4 December 2013

design makes me ... design modifies me

--- Brent Hardy-Smith

Several days since the lecture of professor Hardy-Smith, I am still not clarified about the diagram and design segments. On the other hand, there is still some trend appeared from my mind to explore more about what he mentioned even it would be a tough objective for me. Cause every time I give a trial on some invisible ability training, I could attain something valuable.

This is not the first time a creative job exhausts me. When I was in primary school, my father suggested me to learn to draw from a teacher cause I seemed to like it. I have to say it was a frustrating experience. There were about 20 kids there. After be trained to draw lines with pencils correctly for 3 days, everyone, as the teacher said, got great advance of this skill except for me. 'Don't worry,' he said, 'have a nice sleep, maybe you will get something when you wake up tomorrow.' The next day I did some practice and I swear I felt much better when drawing. But I did not acknowledge whether my skill had been developed when I went to another drawing tutorial one week later. The classroom of a junior school, used by the drawing teacher as a place to teach us had been occupied for some reason and I did not see him anymore. My feeling was complicated. It was funny because I could persuade myself that I did well just no one could tell me verbally and, meanwhile,  no one could really tell me.

Maybe a brain needs some time to transfer a learning result to instinct, I thought. But this opinion was not sure without a certain result of this experience.

So far, I had not obtain any realistic opportunities to train my design mind theoretically till I began my MA studying. Whenever an idea came out of my brain, good or bad, no artistic or aesthetic principles could be told. All I could say was, it looks more satisfying that way. For me interpreting my decent minds and catastrophic thoughts in design was like explaining how to breath. Sometimes it is disastrous when I can not represent my ideas with appropriate principles. Owing to this I tried to stay focus on the lecture last Wednesday. Conversely there was something like a solid obstacle between my perspective and the comprehension to what he said. Firstly I did not quite some points. For incidence there was a slide of 'Clear space - Inherent dynamics' with some depicted induction of several categories of layouts. I could imagine what a picture with the structure would look like but I was not able to comprehend the aims to use these ideas. Additionally the following examples were not obvious enough related to each of the methods. Actually considered for some time I might have found some clue. They may be not accurate but at least my mind is not filled with mess for this now. Maybe some of them utilised more than one method but I can just match each example to an idea by my first reaction.



At the moment I saw this picture I was thinking, what is behind the mask facing the turkey? My concentration moved out of the left margin of the picture then it moves back. Of cause it is dynamic with the lines and the mask idea.

To be honest, I am not sure the arrows are representing the concentration. But in my point of view, whenever an artist is doing a design, he or she might think about the concentration. Also the artist may starts to dispose everything by the principle with concentration more or less.



It is difficult to me to make sure which method this example matches. At the beginning I thought it looks beautiful, clean and energetic and that's all. By my perspective the method may means to put all the content to one corner of the whole page. The empty space left in the example could be a little irregular-shaped so that there would be some difficulty for me to realise what method it is accompanying.





As a matter of fact, when I saw this I just felt: nice drawing and great idea and I did not thought about anything about structure. It may be arranging main point on one edge as well. However I also think the content is disposed to every part equally.








The stagger hands staggering in the bigger one looks nice. Not much evidence is required for me to acknowledge which method is used in this example.

It feels jubilant when found out some reasonable clue from something used to be totally not understandable. Every time I see some high-level work, a frightening sense comes out of my mind. The distance between the capability of the masters and I made me feel a little anxious that it may even impossible for me even understanding their thoughts. But sometimes I also feel enthusiastic to have an opportunity to think with risks that it may not give any answer for long time. The particular benefit from this action for me, by my experience, is to develop my mind directly or indirectly, even when my brain reacts slowly. The difficult things modify me. It is nice to get the advance without compulsive examinations.


--- Brent Hardy-Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment